About this service
You can use this service to find out about local land charges (restrictions) on land or property on the Local Land Charges Register.
Before you start your search, we recommend that you use our online search tool to find out if the authority you want to search has moved to the local land charges register.
Once you know that HM Land Registry is responsible for local land charges for the relevant local authority area you can search by:
- Postcode, address or partial address.
- Map (use the map buttons to draw a shape around the place you want to search)
Your search will show you a list of local land charges:
- In the place you search
- At a particular time
This service cannot tell you if a local land charge is being added to the register while you search.
What’s not included
Your search does not include, for example:
- Planning and development applications.
- Building controls.
- Road development schemes near to your property
All CON29 enquiries should be made to the relevant Local Authority.
Personal and official search services
You can choose from the:
- personal search service (this is free)
- official search service (a fee is payable for this service under the Local Land Charges Fees (England) Rules 2018). This is a secure document digitally signed by HM Land Registry
If you choose the official search service, you can download your official search certificate and print a copy.
If you choose the official search service you can update your official search certificate by making as many free repeat search applications as you require for 6 months after your original search date. Each time you repeat your search application, an official search certificate will be issued. You will have to pay for any repeat search made after 6 months has expired.
A personal search will let you inspect the register and show you:
- a description of the local land charge.
- the registration date, the date when the charge was added to the register
- contact details for the authority that can answer questions about the local land charge (where available).
The official search will show the same information as the personal search plus:
- search boundary/area on a map
- originating authority name, reference and any electronic link they have provided to a document or register kept by them relevant to the charge.
- local land charge boundary
You can download the official search certificate as a secure document, digitally signed by HM Land Registry.
A fee is payable for an official search.
Opening an account
You need to set up an account to access the search service, with it you will get for 6 months:
- cloud storage for your searches
- a search result archive
- unlimited downloads
a dashboard showing:
- active searches (searches less than 6 months old). You can update these searches by making as many free repeat search applications as you want, for 6 months after your original search date. Each time you repeat your search application, an official search certificate will be issued
- expired searches (searches older than 6 months). You can repeat these, but you will need to pay when you search again
What you need to set up an account
To set up an account you must provide your:
HM Land Registry will email you to tell you that your account has been created.
If you need to change your email address details, you can set up a new account using a different email address.
Keeping your account secure
You are responsible for:
- keeping your username and password secure
- all activity that occurs on or through your account
If you think your account’s security has been breached, contact HM Land Registry:
- phone: 0300 006 0411
- speak to a Welsh speaker: 0300 006 0422
If you don’t use your account for 12 months, we will delete it.
HM Land Registry is not responsible for any losses if someone else using your log in and user identification uses your account.
How and when you can access the service
You can access the service from any supported internet connected device and browser.
The service is available every day but may be taken down for updates and maintenance. If you are logged in when this happens, you’ll get a notification on your screen.
By using the service and/or registering an account, you agree that you will not:
- attempt to damage, impair or interrupt the service or access to it
- use any automated software agents to search, copy, monitor, display, obtain links to or otherwise access this or any other HM Land Registry system
- copy or display the information provided for display on another website
- attempt to add, change or delete any information provided and held by HM Land Registry
- allow anyone else access your account using your User ID and password
- use the information provided by the service to claim any arrangement or official partnership with HM Land Registry to supply or reuse data and/or information
- use the data for any fraudulent or unlawful activity including breaches of data protection law
If you are not using this service in the agreed way:
- HM Land Registry can end your use of the service and cancel your account at any time, without notice
- you will have to pay any unpaid official search fees
Payments to HM Land Registry
By using the official search service, you agree to be bound by and pay for any official search certificate you apply for.
Because the official search certificate information is provided immediately, once you pay for it you lose the right of cancellation you would normally have under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
This means that by applying to buy an official search on land or property you have identified you agree:
- to pay the fee for this service by making an online transaction (through GOV.PAY).
- that the local land charge official search certificate will be provided as soon as you have paid.
- and accept you lose your right to cancel once the official search certificate are made available for download.
HM Land Registry is not responsible for the security or privacy of information you provide when making a transaction through the service’s online payment provider. If you have an issue with this, you should:
- contact the online payment provider directly
- tell HM Land Registry about the outcome by calling 0300 006 0411
Your agreement with HM Land Registry
When you search, HM Land Registry enters into an agreement with you. HM Land Registry agrees to provide you with the facility to exercise your right to personally inspect the register or to apply for an official search certificate for the land or property selected by you at the time and date of your transaction. You can end this agreement at any time before you make payment (official search certificate). The agreement is between you and HM Land Registry and no-one else can enforce any of its terms.
The online payment provider will confirm your purchase and provide a transaction reference.
Your agreement with HM Land Registry ends when you complete your personal inspection of the register or when your official search certificate is made available for you to view or download.
Service delays and interruptions
HM Land Registry is not liable to you or any other person for losses caused by:
- delays to this service
- getting your search result
For example, from:
- interruptions to the internet
- services provided by third parties (anyone who is not HM Land Registry)
- false information from linked websites
Copyright and database rights
The information in this service is subject to Crown copyright and database right. Also, use of address and mapping data (including the link between the address and its location) in this service is subject to Ordnance Survey licence terms and conditions (link opens in new tab). The information in the local land charges register may also include information in which other third parties (including the authority who registered the charge) claim copyright and/or database right. Therefore, reuse of this information for a purpose other than conducting a search of the local land charges register would require specific consent.
Your information and how we use it
We will hold your:
- IP and email address
How we protect your information
HM Land Registry complies with the requirements set by the Data Protection Law.
We use your personal information in accordance with the HM Land Registry’s Personal Information Charter to:
- create and manage any account you open
- meet our agreement obligations by supplying the personal and official search results to you, once the online payment provider confirms that your payment has been processed and is complete (official search)
- record the search
- contact you using the email address you provide
We may retain and share information with:
- other government departments
- law enforcement and regulatory bodies, including specified anti-fraud organsiations under section 68 Serious Crime Act 2007
This sharing of information helps to prevent and detect crime, for example, property fraud. It also helps with the investigation of land banking schemes.
HM Land Registry will:
- keep your personal information secure.
- not make it available for commercial use, such as marketing, without your permission.
- share your information with other HM Land Registry teams to process your application.
Deleting or changing your account
If you don’t use any account you have created for 12 months, we will delete it.
We don’t keep your personal information if you delete your account. It will be removed from our system when a Land Registry staff member closes the account.
If you want to use a different email address, you’ll need to open a new account.
How to make a complaint
If you’re unhappy with the service, contact HM Land Registry. You can:
- complete the online contact form
- phone: 0300 006 0411.
- speak to a Welsh speaker: 0300 006 0422.
If you’re unhappy with the answer you receive, follow the HM Land Registry’s internal complaints procedure.
If you’re still unhappy with the answer contact the Independent Complaints Reviewer’s Office (ICR). The ICR can investigate your complaint independently from HM Land Registry.